This simple and easy cheese sauce can be used for favourites such as cauliflower cheese, macaroni cheese or even broccoli cheese or mixed with any veg. The particular type and maturity of the cheese is entirely up to you. The easy cheese sauce recipe is quick to make and make a great base for many foods.
Ingredients (makes approximately 700 ml)
- 25g/1 oz Butter
- 25g/1 oz Plain flour
- 600ml/1 pint Milk.
- Salt and pepper (white or black – your choice) to taste.
- 200g/7oz Cheese.
- Solid cheese such as cheddar, red leicester or gouda.
- Place the butter in a saucepan and melt over a medium heat.
- Add the flour whilst stirring and cook for a minute or two (This is known as a roux).
- Remove the pan from the heat and gradually add the milk bit by bit, stirring each splash to form a smooth mix before adding more. Do not add all the milk at the same time.
- Once the milk is mixed in with the flour, return the pan to the heat. Stir continuously as the sauce heats and bring it to the boil.
- Allow the sauce to simmer for 5-10 minutes and add a little salt or pepper to taste.
- Stir in the cheese, letting it melt gradually without boiling the sauce. When it is mixed and melted remove it from the heat.
For different flavours when making easy cheese sauce why not try some of the the following adaptations to the recipe.
- Replace 50g of the cheddar with grated parmesan or other hard cheeses.
- Add a spoon of English mustard to the mix.
- Add a finely chopped chilli for a spicy cheese sauce that gives the sauce a kick.
- Add a finely chopped chipotle chilli for a smokey and spicy cheese sauce.